Observations

Discuss "Female of the Species" here
pentastar

Observations

Post by pentastar » Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:32 am

Ok, finally re-watched "The Assasin" (or "Female of the Species", as the case may be). Janice had some very astute observations, so I will try not to repeat any that she has already noted.

- I noticed a lot of funky incidentals going on in the background music. The sounds were like something you hear when someone plays an old sawblade like a violin. Kinda odd and very 80's, but I liked it.

- When Jesse tracks the bad guy with his infrared vision, the image on the screen looks like a floating red fetus.

- At the bar Jesse orders a beer and then walks away as the bartender tries to hand it to him.

- Later at the bar they deliver Jesse his beer and Anne her fruity drink. However, she gets up and leaves before taking a single sip of it.

- Yet again, Rachel shoots Jesse down. After he jokingly says "I'm yours, body & soul," she answers "Perish the thought," while rolling her eyes. Guess my fantasy that Jesse and Rachel were getting together was exactly that...a fantasy.

- Instead of backing towards the door, why do Altobelli and Menlo insist on moving towards the center of the arena?

- The arena battle scene was one of those scenes I always remembered as a kid, and still is one of my favorite scenes.

- I love the final shot of Altobelli staring at Street Hawk, I'd give a million bucks to find out what was on his mind at that moment.

Favorite Quotes:

Jesse: "Typical Washington beuroctrat; pushy, narrow-minded government type."
Norman: "Thanks a lot."

I really love when Altobelli gets so fired up at Menlo and screams, "After this is over, we have a little business to settle...alone...in a parking lot...understand!?!"

telove

Observations

Post by telove » Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:03 pm

This is one of my favourite episodes. The first two, this one, and the one with medical/military lazer.

- When Jesse tracks the bad guy with his infrared vision, the image on the screen looks like a floating red fetus.
That bit looked funny :) Also, after he disengages infrared, he drives off and yet it doesn't look dark at all.

- At the bar Jesse orders a beer and then walks away as the bartender tries to hand it to him.
I noticed that too, and I don't know why. It didn't look like a blooper, so why would they plan something like that? Seems very odd.

- Later at the bar they deliver Jesse his beer and Anne her fruity drink. However, she gets up and leaves before taking a single sip of it.
Yeah. It's also interesting to me because it's the only time I've ever seen Jessy drink alcohol I think. I was thinking about it because if he has to ride SH every evening (or 5 nights a week or whatever), it means that all those times he goes out "partying", and that time he went out for a meal with Norman and the female writer - he can never drink or he would be riding SH while under the influence :P

- Yet again, Rachel shoots Jesse down. After he jokingly says "I'm yours, body & soul," she answers "Perish the thought," while rolling her eyes. Guess my fantasy that Jesse and Rachel were getting together was exactly that...a fantasy.
It could still happen. But... there would need to be a new series hehe.

- The arena battle scene was one of those scenes I always remembered as a kid, and still is one of my favorite scenes.
Yeah it was cool.

- I love the final shot of Altobelli staring at Street Hawk, I'd give a million bucks to find out what was on his mind at that moment.
Me too! He looked at him as if he recognised him, or as if he was realising that he was wrong all along to be negative about SH etc... And yet at the end of the show, they don't even mention it. The guy tells Altobelli kudos for saving his life etc.. and yet nobody mentions the fact that they would both be screwed if it wasn't for this Streethawk character everyone is always whining about.

I really love when Altobelli gets so fired up at Menlo and screams, "After this is over, we have a little business to settle...alone...in a parking lot...understand!?!"
That guy annoyed me so much, so I really appreciated Altobelli standing up for himself and telling him that. I like that bit :)
Last edited by telove on Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pentastar

Observations

Post by pentastar » Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:36 pm

Yeah. It's also interesting to me because it's the only time I've ever seen Jessy drink alcohol I think. I was thinking about it because if he has to ride SH every evening (or 5 nights a week or whatever), it means that all those times he goes out "partying", and that time he went out for a meal with Norman and the female writer - he can never drink or he would be riding SH while under the influence :P

Actually, Jesse is seen drinking a beer in the Pilot episode when Norman comes to his apartment to convince him to join the Street Hawk program. But you're right, I can't think of any scenes where he drank after he became Street Hawk. It's interesting because Jesse is often seen wooing the female characters in each episode, but this episode is the only one I can think where alcohol is involved.

Squilla

Re: Observations

Post by Squilla » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:31 pm

I love this episode as possibly my favourite purely because of the Altobelli/Streek Hawk face off.
I think Richard Venture's acting at this very scene was excellent. A mixture of excitement, confusion surprise. Totally convincing. And then of course, Tuttles whispered advice- 'dont push your luck'

Classic :D

Squilla

Post by Squilla » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:33 pm

pentastar wrote:

Actually, Jesse is seen drinking a beer in the Pilot episode when Norman comes to his apartment to convince him to join the Street Hawk program. But you're right, I can't think of any scenes where he drank after he became Street Hawk. It's interesting because Jesse is often seen wooing the female characters in each episode, but this episode is the only one I can think where alcohol is involved.

Doesnt he drink a 'cold one' when Starker is talking to him in at his home in 'A second self'? And of course he tells 1st grade imposter Cannon that he wants to go home and down a few cold ones...

pentastar

Post by pentastar » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:21 pm

Squilla wrote:I think Richard Venture's acting at this very scene was excellent. A mixture of excitement, confusion surprise. Totally convincing. And then of course, Tuttles whispered advice- 'dont push your luck'

Classic :D

Yeah, it is funny to see Richard Venture out-act Dennis Franz in that episode. As a kid, I remember the "don't press your luck" scene had so much meaning to me. It really felt like a pivotal moment, like the Commissioner was starting to put two & two together.

Squilla

Post by Squilla » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:59 pm

exactly what I thought too- because I feel that if there had been a continuation, his attitude toward Street Hawk would have changed somewhat. Either for good or worse.

pentastar

Post by pentastar » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:57 pm

As a kid I remember hoping that Altobelli would eventually begrudginly accept Street Hawk's role as a vigilante crime fighter. Jessie could become the Batman of Los Angeles. However, I can't imagine an 80's TV show having that much depth and character development. If Altobelli was first written to despise Street Hawk, chances are he would play that role as long as the series ran.

If the show ran long enough, I imagine the reveal of Street Hawk's identity to Altobelli would have eventually been written into a season or series finale.

jig-sore

Post by jig-sore » Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:57 am

i love the sports stadium part of this episode. i love the bit where streethawk is riding up the ramps to get to the press box.

there is a shopping centre near me (Weston flavell near Northampton) that has similar ramps. always loved going there as a kid because of that scene 8-)