Question

Talk about anything else here!
ducati749s
Question

Post by ducati749s » Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:54 am

While trawling through the web I find that sites are Unofficial, semi-official or official. Now, it might be me but how can something be semi-official, take this for example:

http://www.xr3i.co.uk/

Amost official, how?!?!?!?
What does it take for something to be official, do you need approval from the company who made the product or does the site have to be run by that company. Its Something thats been bugging me for a while.

hernesson

Question

Post by hernesson » Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:01 am

I'm not saying I'm right, but how I understood it was, Official means the production company fully endorses, and runs, or has input/say in how the site is run.
Unoffical can mean anything.
This site is unofficial being that Josh hasn't sought permission by Universal. However you get some sites, books etc. that are Unofficial but they still needs permission from the company to reproduce everything. Just that the site isn't recognised by the company.
Technically, this site and other fan sites to do with tv commodities could be shut down as we are breaking intellectual rights with photos, music and episodes. But companies don't have the man power or the will to do this as they obviously do recognise that they would be doing only harm to their reputation as well as abandoning thousands of its viewing public.
I don't think there's any such thing as semi-official. I used to run a fan club. I knew the creator of the series and could easily have asked if I could make it the official club if I wanted. This really would just be a word on a bit of paper though. The company who produced the show can only give the permission.