An Inconvenient Truth

Talk about anything else here!
josh
An Inconvenient Truth

Post by josh » Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:36 am

Have any of you seen this movie yet? If not, you should definitely watch it. It is a very eye opening documentary on how we are destroying our planet.

http://www.climatecrisis.net

ducati749s

An Inconvenient Truth

Post by ducati749s » Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:20 pm

[quote author=josh board=other thread=1168526188 post=1168526188]We are destroying our planet.

Yeah with Hemi Chargers.....and Barracudas ;) ;)Only joking :) :) :)

Completely stopping using fossil fuels is not an option, cutting down drastically on them is.
The way I see it is that we need to chnge our ways of using them because lets face it we need Fuel to function, we are the problem with our huge overuse of the fuel supplies cutting down on that would greatly help.
Those are my thoughts.

pentastar

An Inconvenient Truth

Post by pentastar » Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:48 pm

I recently watched An Inconvenient Truth as well. I was struck by how non-political this movie by Al Gore really was. It makes me sorry that the Bush mafia stole the election from him. But, then again if he was president he would never have been able to make this movie which seems to have finally woken the American people up.

What I find really ridiculous is that the US is one of only two major countries that have not ratified the Kioto agreement (the other being Australia). The only thing I can say is that I'm glad I live in California which appears to be leading the example in our country for the expectations we are setting for vehicle manufacturers (Is Ahhhnold going to give up his Hummer?)

I've really been seeing the effects of global warming this winter; it doesn't even feel like winter here. Granted, Los Angeles has generally mild weather overall. But when I can drive my Miata with the top down in January and feel a WARM breeze, that's not normal. I've also noticed the winds are more prevalent now than they've ever been.

All of us, but particularly Americans, need to look at what things we can do to at least reduce our carbon emissions. My personal suggestion would be if you live in the suburbs and you mow your own lawn to buy an electric lawnmower. Last year I bought an electric lawnmower, which I've actually learned to like a whole lot more than a gas one. I've even managed to not run over the power cord...yet!
Last edited by pentastar on Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

josh

An Inconvenient Truth

Post by josh » Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:15 pm

As long as money controls our Gov't, we are screwed. It is a shame that just about every politician can be bought out. What amazed me about this movie was the amount of confusion our government has purposly created about global warming. The want us to think it is a "hoax" and not real so they can make bigger profits.

After watching the movie I actually felt bad about owing a Hemi Charger. All I can say is that my Charger gets better gas mileage than most suv's and sedans. My 5.7L V8 gets close to 24MPG Highway and 17MPG City. There is no way we can quickly remove our dependence from oil, but the auto manufactures need to be forced to make better engines. The MDS in the hemi does work well and really improves gas mileage. More innovation like this needs to happen in the auto industry.

I have been planning to build a house in the next 5-7 years and have always debated using solar/wind energy for power. After watching this I will definitely be using some sort of solar/wind combo to power the house.

pentastar

An Inconvenient Truth

Post by pentastar » Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:23 pm

Yeah, I don't drive my Cuda all that much, so I don't think I'm contributing a lot in that regard. I bought the Miata last year so that I'd have a commuter that would get better gas mileage than having my wife drive me to work and pick me up. I'm just appauled at how many behemouth SUVs people drive when they don't even have anybody else in the car with them.

Yes, it's quite sad that our country answers to the almighty dollar alone. Don't get me wrong, I love America and everything it was founded on. But I don't think our founding fathers intended for those with the most money to rule the country.

madeofme

An Inconvenient Truth

Post by madeofme » Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:44 pm

Have any of you seen this movie yet?
I'm going to buy it !!! :)

:) I love nature both my loved girl (my website's creator :-*) ... and we fight everyday against the indifference of the people (to shake in his soul to live with nature ecosystem's rules) and against the wastes of resources. :-/

::) Often there are great difficulties when there is few awareness !!! :'(

Bye :)
Last edited by madeofme on Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
©2007 STREET HAWK RETURNS ;) Our Hero is Back !

©2008 STREET HAWK ADVENTURES ;) The Remake !

©2010 STREET HAWK BEGINS ;) Young Street Hawk !

http://www.madeofme.com :) My WebSite

http://www.climateark.org :) Save OUR Planet

madeofme

An Inconvenient Truth

Post by madeofme » Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:05 pm

Yeah, I don't drive my Cuda all that much, so I don't think I'm contributing a lot in that regard...
::) The matter is complex,
but with our "example" we can reach the "soul" of people for inspire to run the right way. :D

:) For example,
My motoscooter has 100.000 Km and over (its age is 6) and it's in perfect conditions.
I've modified it for obtain same features and low maintenance's costs : its fuel consumption is very low, between 20 and 25 Km with 1 litre of fuel (standard is less 20 !!!) .
;D
:-/ Other guys modify their vehicles (cars and motorcycles) for power and speed... good for fun... :'( but no good for our Planet, because the resources are of all peoples ... but often they forgotten this. :(

:D The right way maybe give the right weight to fun stuff and the good stuff !!! :D

I hope that you have understood the meant of my words... :)

Bye ;)
Last edited by madeofme on Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
©2007 STREET HAWK RETURNS ;) Our Hero is Back !

©2008 STREET HAWK ADVENTURES ;) The Remake !

©2010 STREET HAWK BEGINS ;) Young Street Hawk !

http://www.madeofme.com :) My WebSite

http://www.climateark.org :) Save OUR Planet

hernesson

An Inconvenient Truth

Post by hernesson » Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:20 pm

"Save the trees people" (wipe your arse on a badger ...) :-)

Dan
[who can always be relied upon to take things seriously when it matters!]

pentastar

An Inconvenient Truth

Post by pentastar » Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:10 pm

:-/ Other guys modify their vehicles (cars and motorcycles) for power and speed... good for fun... :'( but no good for our Planet, because the resources are of all peoples ... but often they forgotten this. :(
I think it is going to depend on the situation and person. Everyone should make a commitment to reducing the amount of greenhouse gasses they produce in their daily lives. However, we need to be reasonable as well. Owning a hobby car or motorcycle that we drive once a month isn't quite as significant as someone who drives 30 miles to work every day alone in a Hummer that gets 12 miles per gallon.

While it would be nice if everyone drove a Prius or a scooter to work every day, as a society we first need to get rid of a lot of our gross wastefulness before we start focusing on all the smaller contributers.

hernesson

An Inconvenient Truth

Post by hernesson » Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:30 pm

I've personally contributed to reducing noxious gas emissions by cutting out baked beans from my diet! ;)

Seriously, Scott has hit the nail on the head there. The big polluters are industry and commerce. Their greed is to blame but they are passing the buck and trying to place all blame on the consumer.
Joe Bloggs from Twickenham putting out their recycling bin every week for collection and cycling to work instead of driving doesn't really make any dent at all. By all means, we can all avoid energy waste by turning off unnecessary appliances at home, which is the limit to what I personally do. Perhaps I should do more, but I don't own a car and my energy bills are much lower than the average household anyway.
This ridiculous new tax on air fares for example. This is supposed to curb people making "unnecessary" air travel. For the rich it won't effect them at all. The poor guy saving for the holiday of a lifetime however will be.
Isn't that always the case? The rich are exempt and never accountable, and the little man (us) suffer. ::)

I have grave visions for our future as a race. Oh no, it's that maudlin Brit again I hear :D but the scene in Highlander 2 has always haunted me. The earth has become so polluted and global warming is upon us. The earth is surrounded by an artificial forceshield which protects the population from the sun, but we're essentially poisoning ourselves every day... :-/