My Street Hawk Series Bike Project

Are you currently building or interested in building a replica bike? Post your info and progress here.
jameth

My Street Hawk Series Bike Project

Post by jameth » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:58 pm

Well like the title says this will be the beginning of my Streethawk series motorcycle. I wont actually be buying my base bike for a few years until I am done putting my wife through school but I decided to get started. I chose the series bike because I like the look of it better than the pilot bike. I like the weapons and the weapons areas of the front section. I also think he looked better as he was able to sit up straight while riding it as well as the bike being higher. I grew up on a Yamaha XT 350 and later a Honda XL 500. In addition to loving going off road I liked being able to sit up straight. I never cared for a bike where you have to hunch over.

Okay my base bike will be different. Kawasaki came out with a true Enduro bike in the early 90s. The KLR 650. Unlike the XL and XT lines which were basically baja bikes with lights and blinkers added the KLR was a true enduro bike. Liquid cooled, 6 gallon tank instead of three, an electric start (I will never kick start a bike again) and overall improvement in design. If you going to do insane, double, mid air back flips the KLR would not be the best choice but for moderate jumps and normal sane off roading it's perfect. I bought a brand new KLR in 93. It had a very Street Hawk look to it which I just loved. The newer models look even more like Street Hawk.

Here is the 2012 model. This will be a few years down the road. New they run about $6,000 but used only a year or two old with low miles you can get them for about half that.

It will become this:

The correct mags will be added to the wheels. I will keep the stock set of wheels and make it so they can change out fast as the mags, according to what I read, did not do so great with jumps. One of the hardest parts is all the wheel stuff, discs, etc. Probably gonna skip a lot of that. This will not just be a replica but a fully functioning motorcycle that will be used. I need to be able to replace parts and if you look at the above pics and just picture the stock KLR wheels but replaced with Street Hawk mags it will look pretty good.

So when I go out looking to look like Street Hawk I'll ride with the mags but when I'm just riding I'll have the stock tires depending on the mag strength, jumps, etc.

Other changes will be made. The map in the console will be replaced with a real GPS since that was the idea anyway. Obviously may need to make adjustments to various parts to fit the KLR but the wheels aside I want it to look as close as possible.

It will have a functioning (as in goes in and out) laser, machine gun, missiles, headlight, airfoils, etc. The controls will match the series bike for all weapons and the helmet will have a remote switch visor for both up and down. The switch will be on the handle bar as well as the side of the helmet. I built a similar thing in high school for my helmet at the time.

The KLR also has great stock hand guards that I love and have saved my hands on numerous occasions. Again depending on real riding or show off I'll put those on. I'll leave the mirrors off when on display in my collection and put them on when riding. I will however trade out the higher round stock ones for my preferred low profile square ones. Blinkers and plates will be re-designed to come off and go on easily. Off for display and show off but on for street legal and safety purposes when riding.

I'm about a third of they way through all the reading I can find online about the bike.

So it begins........

spyhunter2k

Re: My Street Hawk Series Bike Project

Post by spyhunter2k » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:38 am

Welcome to the forum! We've already exchanged several PMs, but I thought I'd welcome you on this thread as well. You have your work cut out for you with this bike, but it sounds like you know it. Since Jon and I are building pilot bikes, yours will be the first series replica on the forum.

JON1482

Post by JON1482 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:09 pm

I'll second that! We need a series bike replica to complete the line up :D

jameth

Post by jameth » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:25 pm

Thanks for the welcome guys. You two have already been so much help, both in PMs but also in all your posts, research, etc.

I know this will have a lot of challenges but it will be well worth it.

I have been wanting something really unique that very few people have in their collection and suddenly it was like, dah!!! Street Hawk. I've been wanting an excuse to buy another KLR for years. I won't ride crazy like when I was younger and not nearly as often but it would be nice to be able to ride sometimes. That's an expensive toy to use only sometimes but if it's a Street Hawk suddenly it all makes sense.

I have a feeling when I am all done and it's as close as I can get on everything else I'll probably work on the wheels as well.

I know some issues have already come up like the nose piece not being able to fit around the gas tank. Again this will be the not 100% accurate part, but as I said only a few would notice.

What's fun about this is the idea of owning one of my beloved 80s machine. In the real world I also want an Airwolf, Blue Thunder, Tumbler, Grumman Goose, Dodge Charger (Black, not General Lee. Had a black R/T. Had to sell it when I went back to college).

In the dream world I also would need a Millenium Falcon, Speederbike, U.S.S. Excelsior, and A Star Destroyer to put it all in.

That's all. Obviously I can't afford any of that and a lot can't be made but I can have a Street Hawk. :D :D

Thanks again for the welcome, the help and all the future help.

jameth

Post by jameth » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:28 pm

Anyone given any thought to the handle bar boot????

If we can make on let's send one down to Florida to fix the real one. :lol:

spyhunter2k

Post by spyhunter2k » Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:47 pm

Ah, the handlebar boot. It will be a pain. The easiest thing would be to 3D design it, have it machined up in plastic, mold that buck, and then...

But since I still haven't been able to find the time to teach myself 3d modelling and machining it up in plastic would probably cost over $1000, I'll probably make it the same way as the rest of my bike: make a master out of wood/epoxy/polyester/foam, mold it in fiberglass, and then reproduce it from there. Lower tech, and much lower cost.

I will say that I will likely create two molds for the bellowed sections on either side of the handlebars, and then glue each of these sections onto the smooth center section to complete the boot. Also, I'll use a urethane rubber. The replacement one created by Chris Bromham for the series bike looks to have been made from latex, which degrades quickly over time.

Seth

jameth

Post by jameth » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:06 pm

spyhunter2k wrote:Ah, the handlebar boot. It will be a pain. The easiest thing would be to 3D design it, have it machined up in plastic, mold that buck, and then...

But since I still haven't been able to find the time to teach myself 3d modelling and machining it up in plastic would probably cost over $1000, I'll probably make it the same way as the rest of my bike: make a master out of wood/epoxy/polyester/foam, mold it in fiberglass, and then reproduce it from there. Lower tech, and much lower cost.

I will say that I will likely create two molds for the bellowed sections on either side of the handlebars, and then glue each of these sections onto the smooth center section to complete the boot. Also, I'll use a urethane rubber. The replacement one created by Chris Bromham for the series bike looks to have been made from latex, which degrades quickly over time.

Seth

I was thinking along similar lines. I can't see anyway to modify any existing item. I'm surprised they custom made it, assuming they did, and did not just go the cloth route like they did under the laser.

jameth

Post by jameth » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:14 pm

On to more fun stuff. The weapons.

I've decided two things. The weapons on my bike will be like the series weapons were supposed to be. Missiles in each of the three side tubes and dual machine guns. I always felt like there should be guns and missiles on both sides and suspected that was what was supposed to be so I was happy when I read that was in fact the case.

The show weapons looked odd with the one gun by itself and the missile firing looks like a used feminine hygiene product being shot by a firecracker. :o Oh no he didn't???

So I will have dual pop out machine guns and three missile on each side. The missile will look like the Baby Missiles Norman shows Jesse.

Now, I was thinking and I decided that there really is no point to going to all this trouble to make a replica Street Hawk that I can actually take out and ride if I have no weapons. I also don't think I would like jail so I came up with a compromise.

Machine Guns-Automatic, high capacity Airsoft electric machine mini guns.

Missiles-Model Rockets. (Not sure where I will be able to shoot these safely but I'll find a spot.)

Imagine riding out in the country and just firing off a few thousand rounds off of airsoft BBs. Then launch a rocket at something. Sounds fun.

jameth

Post by jameth » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:45 pm

Some pics from the DVD. Have not found these online yet:

This weapons control looks different than the one he uses in the show. I think this is Chris' re-creation maybe??????? Or the non hero filming version?????

Misc:

spyhunter2k

Post by spyhunter2k » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:21 am

Yes, that was Chris' inaccurate reproduction. The real ones were cylindrical.

Have you noticed the differences between the series and pilot helmets yet? 8-)