Screen Accurate Tires

Are you currently building or interested in building a replica bike? Post your info and progress here.
spyhunter2k

Screen Accurate Tires

Post by spyhunter2k » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:32 pm

Finally getting around to nailing down the tires used on the screen-used bikes. We'll start with the pilot bike.

PILOT BIKE—FRONT TIRE
Ok, we knew the tires were Goodyear based on the photos of the pilot bike being constructed at Gene Winfield's shop before the lettering was blacked out for filming. Here's a photo of the front wheel as the bike was parked outside the shop. The white Goodyear lettering is easily discernible:

But what model of Goodyear tire? I looked through my trove, and found a high resolution scan from an ABC promo negative, et voila:

You can see "EAGLE D/T II". "D/T" was a racing dirt/flat track tire made by Goodyear. It was only recently replaced by the Dunlop (owned by Goodyear) DT3, but the tread of this third generation is identical to the D/T II it replaced. Here's the site for this tire: http://dunlopracing.com/tires-products/dt3/. The problem is that this new generation tire is no longer produced in the narrower size originally used on-screen. A picture of the original front tire shows the original size to be 26.0 X 6.0 - 19. This is an old measurement format where "26.0" is the overall diameter of the tire. The second problem is that it is also a racing tire—really soft—and not made for pavement.

Dunlop makes a street legal version of the DT3 called the Dunlop K180. The narrowest size available: 100/90-19 is equivalent to a 3.5" width front tire. This may be close enough to the screen-used tire width to work fine. I will update the thread later with confirmation.

PILOT BIKE—REAR TIRE
You would think they'd use the same brand and model or tire front and rear, but I noticed in my pics that you never did see any white lettering on the rear tire in pre-production, and the tread for the rear tire doesn't match the Eagle D/T II. The actual screen-used rear tires looked like this, as seen in a pre-production photo of the rear:

The rear tire on the pilot bike was made by Continental, the K112 4.00H-18 18" rear tire as seen and still available here: http://www.chaparral-racing.com/product ... -0155.aspx
Last edited by spyhunter2k on Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:40 pm, edited 12 times in total.

JON1482

Re: Screen Accurate Tires

Post by JON1482 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:58 am

Beautiful pictures Seth, thanks for the info.

spyhunter2k

Post by spyhunter2k » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:58 am

JON1482 wrote:Beautiful pictures Seth, thanks for the info.
Very welcome Jon!

blazemaker

Post by blazemaker » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:21 am

Great info man! Love the help.

spyhunter2k

Post by spyhunter2k » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:16 pm

blazemaker wrote:Great info man! Love the help.
It's actually great to finally pin down these details.

Now on to the tires used for the three series bike versions that followed the pilot bike, namely:
  • • the ABC Promo/"Murder is a Novel Idea" pilot/series hybrid,
    • the square-nosed series/"Second Self" bike, and
    • the round-nosed series bike used in most series episodes
SERIES BIKES (ALL 3 VERSIONS)—FRONT TIRE
For all three series bike versions, they kept the Goodyear Eagle D/T II front tire, so you'd still use the modern equivalent Dunlop DT3 if it was available in the narrow size we need. Since it isn't, you'd use the same substitute tire (several options were mentioned above) if building a replica of one of these bikes.

SERIES BIKES (ALL 3 VERSIONS)—REAR TIRE
The three bike versions seen in the series used a different rear tire from the pilot bike, though, but all three series bike versions used the same rear tire.

Here's a closeup of this rear tire as seen on the second self bike:

And the winner is the the IRC GP1 Enduro tire. NOTE: I originally identified the rear tire as the Kenda K270 Sport Trail Tire, but it seems based on new pics of the actual original rear tire from the surviving hero bike that this was incorrect. It seems that Kenda copied the IRC tire's design. Also, online reviews are better for the IRC tire, so no reason to go with the Kenda copy I originally thought was correct.

Note the 18" tire comes in several widths. In a closeup of the rear tire seen in "A Second Self", you can read 5.10 X 18. This was confirmed by a pic of the surviving rear tire.
Last edited by spyhunter2k on Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:46 pm, edited 8 times in total.

spyhunter2k

Post by spyhunter2k » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:41 pm

10/26/18 UPDATE: Original post updated with better info.

spyhunter2k

Post by spyhunter2k » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:43 am

10/27/18 UPDATE: Original post revised to now include three suggestions for the front tire.

spyhunter2k

Post by spyhunter2k » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:52 pm

6/16/19 UPDATE

UPDATE #1: FRONT TIRE: The Dunlop K180 (the street-legal version of the race-only DT3 tire, itself the modern equivalent of the old Eagle D/T II as explained above), is available in the 100/18-19 size. I initially converted the "100" number too literally, leading me to believe this tire was too wide for the front. However, when converting motorcycle tires from metric to inch format, it would seem that a 100-series tires actually equates to a 3.5" wide front tire, which is what I believe we need for the front. Also, it is no longer available only in Asia. It has recently become available in the US. I plan to order this tire, and compare its width to the pilot rear tire.

UPDATE #2: SERIES BIKE REAR TIRE: I initially identified the series bike rear tire as a Kenda K270, but it seems that the Kenda tire was a copy of an IRC tire, the GP1 in the 5.10 X 18 size.

I have corrected the info above to reflect these updates.