RIDING REPLICAS

Are you currently building or interested in building a replica bike? Post your info and progress here.
scott
RIDING REPLICAS

Post by scott » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:21 am

A question for those that are making replicas, inspired by jesse1's post about once riding the hero bike to work.

Are you guys planning on riding the bike on the street with no plate, brake lights, mirrors, turn signals etc?

jesse1

Re: RIDING REPLICAS

Post by jesse1 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:03 am

Don't anyone answer that question. It could be used against you in a court of law. You have the right to remain silent :lol:

What are brake lights or license plates?????? :mrgreen:

JON1482

Post by JON1482 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:33 pm

:lol: on a serious note, in the UK we have a daytime MOT test, which is a bit like your DMV. All the bike would need is an audible horn, a brake light and a licence plate. (it is designed to allow vintage bikes on the road).

Guido

Post by Guido » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:04 pm

As we also have in germany something that called "Kurzeitkennzeichen" and that also would allow me to drive my bike when it´s ready for about a 5 day period and that is exactl what I would do than from time to time.

Greetings Guido

scott

Post by scott » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:28 pm

LOL...jesse1 I will not testify against my fellow Street Hawker's in a court of law. :mrgreen:

Interesting about your options in the UK and Germany. I did a quick Google search for my home state, and came up with nothing. Of course I didn't spend much time so I might have an option like you guys do.

A bike not being "street legal" wouldn't prevent me from at least prowling my own neighborhood in search of evildoer's. :D

spyhunter2k

Post by spyhunter2k » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:13 pm

scott wrote:A question for those that are making replicas, inspired by jesse1's post about once riding the hero bike to work.

Are you guys planning on riding the bike on the street with no plate, brake lights, mirrors, turn signals etc?
Heck yeah I am. If I get a ticket, I get a ticket.

That said, mine does have a plate, which will be mounted to hinge upwards out of sight underneath the hyperthrust exhaust most of the time. Also, the side red lights can be used as turn signals and some hidden/blacked-out signals can be mounted up front if I really want to take it out a lot.

scott

Post by scott » Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:22 am

spyhunter2k wrote:
scott wrote:A question for those that are making replicas, inspired by jesse1's post about once riding the hero bike to work.

Heck yeah I am. If I get a ticket, I get a ticket.

That said, mine does have a plate, which will be mounted to hinge upwards out of sight underneath the hyperthrust exhaust most of the time. Also, the side red lights can be used as turn signals and some hidden/blacked-out signals can be mounted up front if I really want to take it out a lot.

I thought about a hinged plate, and using the red side lights as turn signals. I hadn't come up with anything for front signals or mirrors, besides just actually attaching them where they would be noticed. Kinda ruins the look of the bike to do that I think. A mirror would really suck, but I did have the thought of a tiny hidden rear mounted camera. Then mounting a tiny monitor in the dash (like the one that displays the streets on the pilot bikes dash) to at least be able to see behind me with out needing to turn my head back.

jesse1

Post by jesse1 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:08 pm

My new Streethawk has a California plate: "STHAWK2"

You should use a rotating plate like used on the Aston Martin DB5 James Bond Car.