SPYHUNTER2K (SETH C) PILOT REPLICA BODY KIT

Are you currently building or interested in building a replica bike? Post your info and progress here.
spyhunter2k

SPYHUNTER2K (SETH C) PILOT REPLICA BODY KIT

Post by spyhunter2k » Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:23 pm

2018 Update: Most pics in this thread have disappeared, except for the last 10 pages or so. I will try to re-upload them as I can.

In the meantime, please see my Instagram page "operation_street_hawk" for pics of kits being constructed. Inquiries regarding kit pricing and availability can also be DM'd to me through this Instagram page as well.

Hi all.

Thought I'd give an update and some insights into my replica project. I have panels of the series bike based on the hero bike on display in the UK. Since they're in rough shape and I like the look of the pilot bike better anyway, I'm making a pilot replica from scratch. I spent months measuring dimensions from pictures until I finally established measurements that I felt good about. Most of my original pieces will be constructed from wood, which will then be molded. The final pieces will likely be made from fiberglass, though I've toyed with the idea of using carbon fiber.

At this point, my pilot nose is about half finished--almost ready to post some pics of it. I want to get a little further along.

I've bought a bike, and started it tonight for the first time. It's an '86 XR 600R with a newly rebuilt top end. It's basically the same as the 83-84 XR 500, just bored out to 600 and with an aluminum swingarm instead of steel.

I've also bought wheels, and am in the process of getting the brakes sorted out. In case anyone has ever wondered about the cost involved with making a street hawk replica, you will easily spend 80% of the entire cost on the wheels and brakes. The 13" Performance Machine full-floating race rotors needed for each side of the front wheel retailed for about $400 each before they were discontinued. Now good luck finding them, and who knows how much you will have to pay. EACH Performance Machine caliper is $400, and you will need two for the front and one for the rear. Morris mag wheels can set you back $1000.

Anyway, once I have the brakes (probably not getting the PM brakes at first to save some cash, though I will have the dual front PM 13" rotors), it's off to the shop to get the wheels and brakes installed, which will require some custom work. The bike also must be lowered (I'm 6' tall and my toes barely touch the ground with the bike at stock height). I will use a lowering link in the back to take it down 3" or so and probably slide the fork tubes up an inch in the front-the shorter front wheel will lower the bike already.

The clutch is a mother to pull so the bike is getting a hydraulic clutch so that I can actually ride it in stop-and-go traffic without wearing out my hand.

Once back from the shop, I'll fit the nose which will hopefully be finished by then. After seeing how much clearance I have, i'll get a custom fuel cell made up.

Again, once I'm a bit further along, i'll post pics of the nose.
Last edited by spyhunter2k on Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:23 pm, edited 7 times in total.

ducati

SPYHUNTER'S PILOT REPLICA-IN-THE-MAKING

Post by ducati » Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:32 am

:o What the heck......Wow ;D

You certainly have a lot of the required stuff, Are your wheels genuine morris mags? Or are they the (Enkei?) aluminium reproduction that went on some Kwacker KZ's?
I dont have a clue what I'm going to do about the brakes for now, probably just leave them out altogether until the bikes complete, I bought Kawasaki z250 wheels a while back unseen and then realised when I got them home they were made for a single disc so....... >:( And what size are your wheels?
Remember the more you drop the forks at the front the quicker the steering will be, so you dont want to drop them too much.

Xr600? :o Enough power? lol

I really look forward to seeing your progress pictures. Best of luck with the project.

spyhunter2k

Post by spyhunter2k » Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:52 pm

I opted for aluminum Enkeis. As long as there are no fitment issues, they will look identical at 1/3 the price and less age. As best I can tell, the rear wheel on the pilot bike is 18", with the front being 19".

2.5" rear/2.15 front are the widths that most sets of Morris 18"/19" mags come in (as best my research has shown). I got the 18X2.5" rear wheel from a Kawasaki GPZ/KZ1100 police model. Almost all of the front 19" KZ wheels are only 1.85" wide, so they won't work for me, and the 2.15" wide front wheel on the police bike is only 18" tall. I finally snared the rare combo of a 19" tall/2.15" wide front wheel that is set up for dual discs from a KZ650C model, one of the only bikes to have this combo.

Since the original front wheel on the dirt bike is narrower, moving to the slightly wider 2.15" front should make the steering a bit slower to compensate for the forks being raised. Also, the steering should not be too adversely affected anyway since the rear is being lowered a comparable amount.

I honestly will probably put whatever rear disc on the bike that the mechanic can come up with. Not many people notice the smaller rear disc. It's just that those giant 13" dual front discs are so prominent I'm afraid it may throw off the look too much not to have them. I'll also have to get a custom rear sprocket cover machined up to replicate the look of the 6 hole version seen on the bike.

For the series bikes, I believe they went to slightly knobbier tires and a slightly smaller diameter rear wheel (16" or 17").

spyhunter2k

Post by spyhunter2k » Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:14 pm

As for the 600, yeah it should be enough power! I wanted to actaually be able to reach highway speeds if necessary. I may even change the sprockets to allow an even higher top speed.

I also will change out the muffler. It's got an aftermarket unit on it right now and it really wakes up the neighbors. I would love to get a true dual exhaust made up for it. On the show, the left side exhaust tube was just for show--I'd like it to be functional.

I'm also in the process of trying to get this bike tagged/titled for street use, much more difficult now because of recently changed laws that seemed to have been written to discourage converting dirt bikes to dual-purpose ones. If worse comes to worse, I may have to buy an "L" frame and swap all of the components over, but I hope it doesn't come to that.

ducati

Post by ducati » Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:50 pm

Now I feel stupid with my little 250 lol ;D

TBH I want my bike to be able to go from SH and back to XR as quickly as possible as so my first SH will just be a standard body conversion.

I am designing a trellis frame to mount the whole airfoil thing onto, the only metal parts of it will be the actually airfoils, the whole panel will be fiberglass but the frame will(hopefully) have enough strength and mounting points so it wont fall to bits. Once I perfect the subframe I will send the drawing on to you, it might be some help.

Actually I hope that 600 has an electric start or you have one strong foot matey ;D

Thanks for the info on the wheels, it will be a great help when I come to purchase them :)

spyhunter2k

Post by spyhunter2k » Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:22 pm

The nose skeleton is now about 3/4 complete. I only have to make the cross-sections of the upper rear portion that holds the lower display panel and some of the upper display area as well. I keep almost posting pics and then decide to hold off, thinking that it will look much better if I get a little further.

The wheels have been stripped of sprockets and rotors and given a thorough cleaning. I've started the process of polishing the outer rims. This is going to take a WHILE. I spent 2 hours two nights ago just doing the first step of using 400 grit paper on one side of the rear wheel. I still need to get a few imperfections out, and then will start using progressively finer paper until it looks like I want. After that, the centers will be painted and clearcoated. It will probably be a couple weeks before I'm done with them. Hopefully, my title will be back from the DMV by then. My application made it past the tag office, but the state DMV could still catch that the bike was manufactured for off-road use and refuse to title it and revoke the tag. I have my fingers crossed...

If I get a title, which will put to rest that the bike I currently have will be the one used, I will strip the plastic from the bike and paint some odds and ends black. I also need to polish up the rear swingarm and front forks a bit.

Since the bike outputs AC power, I'm getting a regulator to convert it to DC, a high-output stator, and a handlebar switch and wiring harness for expanded electrics this bike will have vs. the stock one.

More to come...

spyhunter2k

Post by spyhunter2k » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:16 pm

The planning...

Last edited by spyhunter2k on Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spyhunter2k

Post by spyhunter2k » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:17 pm

It begins...

Last edited by spyhunter2k on Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spyhunter2k

Post by spyhunter2k » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:23 pm

spyhunter2k

Post by spyhunter2k » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:27 pm

The mid and lower planes are joined to complete the lower nose skeleton...