SPYHUNTER2K (SETH C) PILOT REPLICA BODY KIT

Are you currently building or interested in building a replica bike? Post your info and progress here.
spyhunter2k
Re: SPYHUNTER'S PILOT REPLICA-IN-THE-MAKING

Post by spyhunter2k » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:02 pm

The undertray has proven to be the trickiest part so far to create. I made, and discarded, several diagrams before finally settling on a set of measurements and angles that should recreate the correct look:

I molded several planes bent to the correct angles and cut to the curves I settled on, bolted them together at the correct spacing, and went to work filling in the spaces in-between with filler. After a while, I had something ready to mold. I mounted it upside down and filled in the air spaces below with oil-based clay:

spyhunter2k

Post by spyhunter2k » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:07 pm

I made supporting walls for the silicone and spent a night mixing and pouring:

As you can see, it can get pretty messy, and what you don't see in this photo is the corner that gave way and started pouring silicone until my wife and I squeezed it and re-taped the base. Had to take her to lunch for that one. She's applying pressure to the mold base to stop the leak until the silicone gels while I'm catching as much as I can as it spills off the table. It was like a trauma scene...Not my best night.

The next morning I stripped away the retaining walls:

spyhunter2k

Post by spyhunter2k » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:44 pm

Next I made a fiberglass, sand, and fiberglass sandwich jacket mold to hold the inner silicone mold while creating the part.

You can see it in this de-molding video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyGlnCsBWwg

This actually had to be a double open faced mold so I could wrap all of the fiberglass pieces around 180 degrees.

After the undertray was removed from the mold and trimmed, I had this:

Then I attached it to the bottom of the first nose:

As has been mentioned before, Andrew Probert—the original designer—intended this to be a ram air scoop, and the shots Mark's shared of the first bike built at Gene Winfield's shop didn't have the tube light added. It looked just liked this:
Last edited by spyhunter2k on Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

spyhunter2k

Post by spyhunter2k » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:50 pm

This nose will be on its way to England tomorrow, but before I could let it go I had to break out my own future lighting setup for a quick lighting test.

My night light for the night:

I'll be doing the final prep on the air foil/lower cowling for molding so that it can follow the nose asap.

jesse1

Post by jesse1 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:56 am

I was trying to figure out what an under tray was? And then the light bulb went off. It is a 6 pack of beer tray holder..... There are several major mistakes with this holder:

1. It is not in my garage to finish my bike.
2. It is too awesome not to be shared.
3. I don't like night lights.

I love it; better than the original.

Good job Charlie Brown! I am actually impressed. Not too many people make me impressed!!! ;)

jesse1

Post by jesse1 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:59 am

I want mine with carbon fiber so it is bullet proof. When the bad guy shoots at me, I'm protected...... ;)

jesse1

Post by jesse1 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:04 am

What is the total weight of the nose piece with the beer tray?

jesse1

Post by jesse1 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:06 am

How soon can you send me one?

spyhunter2k

Post by spyhunter2k » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:02 pm

jesse1 wrote:What is the total weight of the nose piece with the beer tray?
I should have weighed it before I shipped it out, but didn't. I think around 15 lbs or so. I'll try to remember to weigh the next one.
jesse1 wrote:How soon can you send me one?
Got you down for one, and will try to crank them out as soon as I can, but don't know exactly how fast that will be. I should have a better idea soon.

jesse1

Post by jesse1 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:17 pm

Will the bottom tray be already mounted to nose? epoxied and glassed in? Or will it screw in?