SPYHUNTER2K (SETH C) PILOT REPLICA BODY KIT

Are you currently building or interested in building a replica bike? Post your info and progress here.
spyhunter2k

Re: SPYHUNTER'S PILOT REPLICA-IN-THE-MAKING

Post by spyhunter2k » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:29 pm

jesse1 wrote:Any luck with the windshield?
Gonna see if I can commission a local plastics company to make a run of 5 or so. Sometime in the next month or so.

spyhunter2k

Post by spyhunter2k » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:42 pm

jesse1 wrote:However, If you look at the proto bike, they are flat heads especially on the air foil.
Yeah, they look flat on the pilot bikes, so we could use these: https://www.mcmaster.com/standard-flat-head-screws

I've always thought they looked to have an aluminum sheen, and aluminum ones are available.

jesse1

Post by jesse1 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:09 pm

I will take one bullet proof windshield! Make sure they are bullet proof..... :roll:

Yes they were alum!

jesse1

Post by jesse1 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:31 am

Guys, lets get more involved with this website! it seems that only 3 to 4 members are the only ones that we hear from..... This is the best website site in history!!!! Let's discuss :mrgreen:

spyhunter2k

Post by spyhunter2k » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:16 pm

jesse1 wrote:Guys, lets get more involved with this website! it seems that only 3 to 4 members are the only ones that we hear from..... This is the best website site in history!!!! Let's discuss :mrgreen:
Josh stopped approving new members for this site this past February, and just recently posted this on the front page:

ATTENTION VISITORS
Unfortunately I no longer have the time to maintain or update this website. I will keep the website up and running but the site will not be updated with any new info. For updated info and discussion please join the Facebook page STREET HAWK: Command Centre.

So it would seem this site is winding down. I hate Facebook, and when I finally gave in and tried to create an account there so that I could participate in the "Street Hawk: Command Centre" group, they disabled the account three times. No idea why.

I will eventually be posting information on www.therpf.com. "RPF" stands for "replica prop forum." Unlike Facebook, they don't force you to use your real name to create an account, or engage in other privacy-robbing practices like asking you to send pics of your face or ID to prove to them who you are.

spyhunter2k

Post by spyhunter2k » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:54 pm

When last we saw the compressed-air-vertical-lift/air-foils assembly (which from now on I'll just call the lower cowling), it had been rough framed in wooden shapes:

spyhunter2k

Post by spyhunter2k » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:58 pm

In the last couple of months since the nose was finished, the lower cowling has been finished.

First the front area was sheeted in using thin metal:

For the underside areas with complex curves spray foam was added...

...and then carved to shape:

Fiberglass was added over the entire part to allow for final surfacing:

spyhunter2k

Post by spyhunter2k » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:02 pm

Final shaping of the bottom was done...

...followed by the front:

The sides were next surfaced, with air foil door lines and attachment bolt points then laid out and hand-scribed:

spyhunter2k

Post by spyhunter2k » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:09 pm

After the surfacing of the buck/plug was finished, it was time to mold. Proper positioning was determined and the sculpture was mounted to a base board, with wood sheets and clay used to fill voids:

Then I calculated the outer shape and angles of the necessary silicone containment box and began constructing the walls:

After the entire assembly box was made, with all seams sealed first with hot glue and then with aluminum tape, 8 gallons of platinum silicone were poured to encapsulate the sculpture and form the inner flexible mold:

After curing, the containment walls were torn away in preparation for applying the outer rigid fiberglass/sand/fiberglass mold:

This rigid outer mold was then built on top of the silicone mold, after which it was removed for trimming:

After the outer mold is trimmed and the inner mold is cleaned, they are joined so that a final part can be made:

spyhunter2k

Post by spyhunter2k » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:17 pm

The actual part was made in the same way I've made the others, using epoxy resin and hand-laid fiberglass cloth, pre-cut to several patterns to match the surface shapes of the parts. I didn't take any pics of the pattern-making process or making the actual part. That's the tedious and boring part.

Instead, here are pics of the first actual lower cowling pulled from the new mold:

Hope you guys have enjoyed this update. This is the last major part to be completed, and this first cowling has already been shipped off to England for Jon's bike to be displayed at the Scotland Comic Con.

It's all downhill from here. The final part is the cap behind the seat which houses the rear blue tail light. It's a simple shape, so won't take me long to do.
Last edited by spyhunter2k on Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.