SPYHUNTER2K (SETH C) PILOT REPLICA BODY KIT

Are you currently building or interested in building a replica bike? Post your info and progress here.
spyhunter2k
Re: SPYHUNTER'S PILOT REPLICA-IN-THE-MAKING

Post by spyhunter2k » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:23 pm

NOTE: Major update on 10/24/18 began on previous page.

At SOME point in the future, I will probably make an upgraded version of the lower cowling with inset, opening air foil doors. This would require making a normal cowling first, cutting out the door openings, remolding the entire sides a second time so that they can be attached underneath the original sides to make the inset sections, then remolding the same area a third time to make the final outer doors. Then reinforcing the whole thing. About 5 times as much work.

To be honest, I'll probably only do this for my own bike, and let anyone else retrofit their own cowlings to have this extra functionality.
Last edited by spyhunter2k on Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jesse1

Post by jesse1 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:32 pm

Spyhunter, AWESUUUUOOOOOMMMMM!

Do you have any pictures of what the grill looks like in the center section of the airfoil or was there not one?
I can't find any pictures that reflects this detail in any detail..... :?

I know on the series bikes, they had a piece of alum with slots cut into it.

Were those Streethawk Molded Goggles? :lol:

What did you come up with on the rear side exhaust pieces and flat exhaust elbow pieces with slots cut into it?

Adding the air brakes would only be 5.123444544 times harder, not 5 times. :roll:

jesse1

Post by jesse1 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:01 am

spyhunter2k wrote:When last we saw the compressed-air-vertical-lift/air-foils assembly (which from now on I'll just call the lower cowling), it had been rough framed in wooden shapes:

Is that Captain America's New Shield in Justice League?

spyhunter2k

Post by spyhunter2k » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:08 am

jesse1 wrote:Do you have any pictures of what the grill looks like in the center section of the airfoil or was there not one?

There was no aluminum shield/grill set into the front of the lower cowling on the pilot bikes as there was on the series bikes. It was open on all pilot bikes.

On the pilot bike with the cowling bolts painted midnight blue to match the bodywork, non-functioning air foil doors, and set up (I believe) for the compressed air vertical lift special effect, it was open and you could see some type of bracketry and a couple pipes (likely for the compressed air effect):

On the pilot bike with silver cowling screws and functioning air foil doors you could see what looked like a radiator mounted a few inches back inside the opening, but again, no grill covering the opening:
jesse1 wrote:What did you come up with on the rear side exhaust pieces and flat exhaust elbow pieces with slots cut into it?
I have 70mm rounded mild steel tubing from which to make the side exhaust tubes, and small exhaust tubes that fit inside them:

Just need to cut off the inner corners, cover that angled cut with steel sheet and powedercoat them black. Been too busy with trying to finish the body panels.

I created 3D sculpts of the curved exhaust guards a while back, and had some machined for my bike and Guidos:

jesse1

Post by jesse1 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:28 pm

Just remember in my picture the exhaust of the original bike was a flex tube....

JON1482

Post by JON1482 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:49 pm

Ohhhh that looks amazing!! :o

jesse1

Post by jesse1 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:57 pm

spyhunter2k wrote:
jesse1 wrote:Do you have any pictures of what the grill looks like in the center section of the airfoil or was there not one?

There was no aluminum shield/grill set into the front of the lower cowling on the pilot bikes as there was on the series bikes. It was open on all pilot bikes.

On the pilot bike with the cowling bolts painted midnight blue to match the bodywork, non-functioning air foil doors, and set up (I believe) for the compressed air vertical lift special effect, it was open and you could see some type of bracketry and a couple pipes (likely for the compressed air effect):

On the pilot bike with silver cowling screws and functioning air foil doors you could see what looked like a radiator mounted a few inches back inside the opening, but again, no grill covering the opening:
jesse1 wrote:What did you come up with on the rear side exhaust pieces and flat exhaust elbow pieces with slots cut into it?
I have 70mm rounded mild steel tubing from which to make the side exhaust tubes, and small exhaust tubes that fit inside them:

Just need to cut off the inner corners, cover that angled cut with steel sheet and powedercoat them black. Been too busy with trying to finish the body panels.

I created 3D sculpts of the curved exhaust guards a while back, and had some machined for my bike and Guidos:
What is that black bracket and round reflector on the left strut? That is not stock and some shots of the bike doesn't have this bracket.

Aren't the 2 pipes the exhaust? they have that brown discolor associated with a worn in exhaust pipe.
That little radiator is not associated with an air cooled XRL500 engine....
Last edited by jesse1 on Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jesse1

Post by jesse1 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:00 pm

jesse1 wrote:
spyhunter2k wrote:

What is that black bracket and is that a round reflector on the front of the left strut? That is not stock and some shots of the bike doesn't have this bracket.

jesse1

Post by jesse1 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:10 pm

jesse1 wrote:Just remember in my picture the exhaust of the original bike was a flex tube....

spyhunter2k

Post by spyhunter2k » Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:41 pm

jesse1 wrote:What is that black bracket and round reflector on the left strut? That is not stock and some shots of the bike doesn't have this bracket.
It looks like some sort of wheel lock they added after the bikes were finished, and maybe were too lazy to remove for the photo shoot.
jesse1 wrote:Aren't the 2 pipes the exhaust? they have that brown discolor associated with a worn in exhaust pipe.
You can see in the 2nd pic that the left pipe is open ended/dsiconnected at the front, and these pipes are not in the pictures of the bike with functioning air foil doors.
jesse1 wrote:That little radiator is not associated with an air cooled XRL500 engine....
Yeah, it looks like a radiator to me, but it probably isn't. I'm not sure what it actually is. Maybe it's supposed to LOOK like a super radiator for a super bike?
jesse1 wrote:Just remember in my picture the exhaust of the original bike was a flex tube....
Yeah but if I can fit an actual muffler in each tube to dampen the sound so that it's more rideable, I'm gonna do that.