JON1482 HELMET PROJECT

Are you currently building or interested in building a replica bike? Post your info and progress here.
pentastar
Re: JON1482 HELMET PROJECT

Post by pentastar » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:18 pm

That looks pretty sweet! You'll cut in the buttons later, right? They might be a smidge large, as you mentioned, but they still look great. Are you still working on a revised speaker for the front?

JON1482

Post by JON1482 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:52 pm

Hi pentastar, yes I've made the new chin piece but the black ABS is pretty tough to mould so I'll have to have a re-think on that one. The add ons pictured are just my first attempts so when I get some time off work and a little peace I'll give it another go and post the results. Have you seen my attempt at a race suit replica?! :lol:

pentastar

Post by pentastar » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:22 pm

JON1482 wrote:Have you seen my attempt at a race suit replica?! :lol:
Yes I have, and I think it looks pretty spot-on. What you need to do is take a picture with yourself in the jupsuit and helmet, th at would be cool! Unless you're saving that moment for when the helmet is 100% completed.

JON1482

Post by JON1482 » Fri May 07, 2010 3:47 am

Hi all, just a quick update. I've vacu formed the add ons in HIPS , the ABS was just too tough to heat form and trim with any precision. I've spray painted a test piece of the HIPS in gloss black and it looks great. The LED's are all ready to mount but it will mean drilling into the helmet, (arghhhhh!). The lower right piece did'nt survive the moulding process so I'm not sure what I can use to make a mould that will take a bit a pressure. You can see half of the piece in the attached pic. Any suggestions?? Cheers, Jon.
Attachments
bits edit.jpg
bits edit.jpg (54.74KiB)Viewed 9069 times

Squilla

Post by Squilla » Wed May 26, 2010 4:21 pm

Nice thread.
I've got two helmets also in need of attention- one I tried to tint the visor, and the spray tint actually 'melted' the visor finish- it went all foggy. Capital offence!
Anyway, got another one and wish to do a proper job on it. Is there anywhere that sells tinted visors? Maybe a board member? Also is there any member that makes or has made the add ons for the helmet exterior for sale?

JON1482

Post by JON1482 » Thu May 27, 2010 3:39 pm

Hi Squilla, same thing happened to me :x , I have'nt found anything specially made for tinting visors. I think it's a safety / legal thing in the UK i.e. you can only have one for track use. I did manage to get an original black ghibli from the USA that came with a factory tinted visor. Good luck finding one. I know 80's kid was advertising the painted helmets again just a few weeks ago, but the listing has now gone from e-bay :?:

JON1482

Post by JON1482 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:24 am

Hello all, nice to see some new members and a bit more activity on the boards. I've finally finished the 'stunt' helmet for my Jesse Mach display. (It's been on the back burner for a bit whilst I've been tinkering with the bike.) Anyway hope you enjoy the pics. Cheers Jon.
Attachments
sh stunt pic3.jpg
sh stunt pic3.jpg (51.35KiB)Viewed 9006 times
sh stunt pic 2.jpg
sh stunt pic 2.jpg (59.08KiB)Viewed 9001 times
sh stunt pic1.jpg
sh stunt pic1.jpg (49.92KiB)Viewed 9000 times

Squilla

Post by Squilla » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:49 pm

That's very cool. I like the look of the left hand side (when facing helmet). A nice display by any means. Well done- I'm a bit jealous. Makes my Ghibli look 'normal' by comparison! I don't even have a tinted visor!!!

Hyper

Post by Hyper » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:02 pm

Wow that looks amazing! It looks like you've got Jesse Mach in your house! So how's the bike coming along? :D

JON1482

Post by JON1482 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:54 am

Thank u both. Now that it's done, I have to say that I'm not happy with the left lower piece, (I never was!) It's toooo chunky. I've still got plenty of plastic left over so I'll give it another shot and make it slightly slimmer. I'm pleased with the overall look tho. I'm going to re-do the 'Hero' helmet parts just to make sure that I'm 100% happy with them prior to making holes in the ghibli for the wiring :o ! As for the bike, well I've started to strip it down, however I want to get in running right first, afterall it is 26 years old! My brother is a qualified mechanic so he's been taking a look at a slight oil leak (more of a weep thankfully). I've purchased a few bits for the electronics. I've bought a some 'alarm' scanners in amber, red and green these flash and scan like KITT so I will use these to light the control panels. I have got the wheels from a Kawasaki Z550 and they are the correct size and style but the rear is a drum brake, so I've sacked that one and got a later Z650 wheel with a disc brake, much better. When I have something of note to share, I'll post a new topic. I see Seth is continuing his superb project, I hope I have a inch of his talent when it comes to building my relica.