Guido´s Pilot Street Hawk project started!

Are you currently building or interested in building a replica bike? Post your info and progress here.
spyhunter2k
Re: Guido´s Pilot Street Hawk project started!

Post by spyhunter2k » Wed May 29, 2013 4:37 pm

Guido, that's great news about getting that bike from Chris, though I would be really tempted to just use that XR as your donor bike since it already has wheels and brake hardware installed. Well...maybe except for swapping out the modified shaft-drive rear wheel he has on it for the accurate 6-bolt rear disk wheel you have.

I looked back through my notes. The pilot bikes (plural—there were at least 2 made, though the "bike info" section on this site still says there was just 1 pilot bike[hint, hint, Josh :) ) were made from 1982 or 1983 (which were essentially the same), likely 1983 XL500R donors. Honda made a different type of XL500, the XL500S, which had twin rear shocks—this is not the correct donor. It has to be an XL500R with the single rear shock. So the correct donor bike was only made for 2 years. Parts are not easy to find, and good running used bikes are in very short supply—a couple reasons I decided against this as my donor. It has less hp than the XRs that were used as the series hero bike donors, and a top speed, from the factory, about 10 mph less than the XR bikes. These bikes also had softer suspensions than the XRs, which is probably why the press photos of Rex Smith and Jayne Modean show the rear of the pilot bike bottoming out, and why they only filmed LOW jumps with the pilot bike and either FX'd in shots of the pilot bike doing higher jumps or used alternative footage of the XR-based series bike doing the jumps instead.

The XR model bikes used for the series-bike donors were faster, with more HP and higher top speed, with stronger suspensions, and were kept almost the same for many years, so parts and technical support are more abundant. Once the panels are placed on the bike, the engine casing shape of the underlying donor bike just doesn't (in my opinion) stand out enough to warrant using the exact pilot donor bike with all of its flaws as compared to the XR donors used for the later series hero bikes. But again, that's just my opinion. If I were making a pilot replica bike to go into a museum, I would have used an XL500R. But since I want to be able to take my bike onto the highway, I need that extra HP and top speed I get from the XR.

About the engine swap, according to Jesse 1 (Mark W.), at least 1 of the pilot bikes had an engine swapped in from an Ascot. There were actually two types of Honda Ascots—one with an engine that was similar to the XL500R's, but with electric start, and another that was a V-twin. The one that was like an XL500R, but with an e-start, was the 1982-1983 FT500 Ascot. (The V-twins were VT somethings). BUT, the e-start on the Ascot was flimsy and problematic. I'm told the issues can be fixed but you'll need to be prepared to pay some attention to it.

I admire your dedication to complete accuracy, but just wanted you to know of the possible drawbacks to the older XL500Rs.

Hawk Huntress

Post by Hawk Huntress » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:34 pm

Guido nice job getting that and seeing that kit on the bike took me back to when we had that kit good luck I hope you show its when done 8-)

Guido

Post by Guido » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:18 pm

Hey Guys,

so it was a litle bit quit from me for about the last 3 month but now I have some news for you and also for me.

First of all yes I got the bike from Chris already over 2 month ago and it is in not a bad shape for his age with lot´s of original Street Hawk parts on it as Chris told me. So I got some realy good infos and views of parts were we only could speculate on till now. I absolutly could use that bike for my Street Hawk project and only would need to make some litle changes to it.

BUT after a long thought with a lot of different directions I realy will go another way that will be more difficult I know but at the end I think it will be a more accurate replica Hero bike that I have built up completely new with only the best available parts.

So the new bike I have started now is a Honda XL500R were I have bought a frame with lots of different single pieces right now. The frame is in perfect shape and I got it with a controlcertificate that everything is absolutly fine with it. So I directly sent the frame to a company were it now complete get sandblasted and than new black powder coated.
Than when the frame would be back I will have other parts to get powder coated too and I´m also looking for a good FT500 Ascot engine that will be also overworked and also will get a kick starter installed beside the e-starter the engine has already.

So that´s it for the moment but it will take not very long till I will post the next news as I have some more parts ordered that will be at my company in the next one or two weeks than more news will follow.

Greetings Guido

JON1482

Post by JON1482 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:55 am

Hi Guido, nice to hear from you. I've not been well for a few months now and we were hot by the sea floods a few months ago so have not touched the bike or the body work for a long time. I'm really looking forward to seeing your progress. All the best, Jon.

Guido

Post by Guido » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:00 am

Good morning guys,

So I realy could not wait to show you all my new start from Zero to my Street Hawk Hero replica bike.

O.K. first of all here this is the new Frame I got last week that I will use:

Remember this is how it looked when I got it last week as now it´s already complete sandblasted and clean and wait´s to get powder coated in black.

Next would be a complete set of correct NOS Morris Mag wheels.

NOS 19" X 2,15" wide (5 bolt) Morris Mag wheel for double front disc brake:

NOS 18" X 2,5" wide (6 bolt) Morris Mag wheel:

BOTH wheels are NOS so they are in absolutly perfect shape and I´m very happy that I was able to get them.

Performance Machine correct style 13" 5 bolt front rotors:

The rotors are also already cleaned and they look as new too now.

More pictures will follow in the next days.

Greetings Guido
Last edited by Guido on Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

JON1482

Post by JON1482 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:03 am

Very impressed Guido, keep up the good work. :D

spyhunter2k

Post by spyhunter2k » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:50 am

Looks great Guido! Excited to see how dedicated you are to having a top-quality replica.

Guido

Post by Guido » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:14 am

Seth & Jon,

did anyone of you both has any realy good and clear Street Hawk pictures were we maybe would be able to see the correct numbers of teeth on the rear sprocket???

I realy would be interrested to come close to the correct one they used on the Hero bike. As for that I checked till now how many teeth the XL500r bike and the FT500 ascot normaly has which are 41 or 40 on these 2 bikes.

When I look at the pictures that I could found over google than wow I realy think about anything between 48 to 52 on the used rear sprocket but with this high number the bike would not drive realy good when I would use it on the Ascot engine in a XL500r frame.

So any more light on this would be realy good.

Greetings Guido

JON1482

Post by JON1482 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:57 pm

My sproket as 48 teeth, which is a HD one , but has 7 holes instead of 6 so its not 100% screen acurate. I wouldn't worry about performance, my XL600 shifts! 8-)

spyhunter2k

Post by spyhunter2k » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:47 pm

I just looked through my pics to see which ones showed the sprocket clearly. Not many do I'm afraid. But in doing so, I think I just realized something I hadn't before: it appears that two sizes of sprockets were used.

Look at this pic, and compare the diameter of the holes in the sprockets to the width of the swingarm. In the top two pics, the hole diameters are about 60% of the swingarm width, and you could almost fit another sprocket above and below the current one and the wheel edge.

In the bottom two pics, the sprocket holes are just about the same size as the swingarm width, and there's no way you could fit another sprocket above/below the current one without going beyond the wheel rim.

On the small one, likely used for shots involving the bike travelling at speed, I count between 42 and 44 teeth. On the large one, I get something closer to 60. When I first showed a friend pics of the bike, it was one with this sprocket and he immediately said "Woh! That's a huge sprocket! Way too big for the bike. They must have put that one on for wheelies and quick takeoffs, but it probably couldn't go very fast with that."

Of course, if you wanted the look of the large sprocket and still wanted it to go reasonably fast, I think you could increase the front sprocket some to compensate for the larger rear sprocket.