Hero Bike in Miami Museum—2012

Anything about Street Hawk can be discussed here.
spyhunter2k

Hero Bike in Miami Museum—2012

Post by spyhunter2k » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:43 pm

I went to Miami, FL last weekend to give a presentation, so naturally I had to visit the series hero bike now in the Dezer Museum there. It was tough at first to verify it was even there—took a few phone calls and emails. Finally got confirmation, though, and put it on my agenda for the weekend. I spent a good 30 minutes with the bike studying it.

Pics to follow...

Seth
Last edited by spyhunter2k on Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

JON1482

Re: Round-Nose Series-Version Hero Bike in Miami

Post by JON1482 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:50 pm

At last ! :D I've had no response so I'm glad you've found it. Just sorry I was a week too late in the UK . Oh well Florida 2013 it is then! Can't wait to see some proper pics.

spyhunter2k

Post by spyhunter2k » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:53 pm

And here they are:

This might have been the reason it took a while to confirm they had the bike:

I pointed out the error and they said they knew about it. They had just stuck the sign there temporarily.

I wondered what happened to the racing suit, until I got around to the James Bond exhibit, that was:

Again, they knew the suit went with the Street Hawk bike, but they wanted a mannequin on the snowmobile and this is their temporary solution. They said they did have the helmet in storage.
Last edited by spyhunter2k on Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spyhunter2k

Post by spyhunter2k » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:21 pm

A few notes:

The bike really needs a "mini-resto" to fix a few issues that likely occurred in the transatlantic transit.
  • There is a small amount of damage to the right side weapons housing on the nose.

The bottom of the windshield has broken where a couple of the screws attached, and is resting on the handlebars.

The air foil assembly is detached from the bike and just sitting on the floor as you can see.

The side and rear bodywork seems to have sagged a bit and isn't lining up with the seat very well—or maybe just the seat was just not attached properly.

The rubber handlebar boot has deteriorated and split.
The bike is in the corner of the room where you can't see it very well. To be honest, it is one bike among many, many vehicles in the museum that are of greater significance in the eyes of most, so it will probably not get the attention or prominence that we fans of the show and bike would prefer. But most people would have no problems with this bike getting wedged into a corner so that more space can be made for James Bond's Aston Martins. Oh well.

Hope you guys enjoyed the pics.

JON1482

Post by JON1482 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:55 am

Thanks Seth, nice to see the bike out of storage, but what the heck have they done with it!? Looks as if it was shipped over on the deck not in the hull :(
I bet you were having to hold yourself back from riding it away to safety :D

spyhunter2k

Post by spyhunter2k » Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:11 pm

Yeah it was frustrating to see it like that, but hopefully they'll bring it back to spec in the future. They worked for 4 years to open the museum, gathering the cars, converting the facilities (used to be warehouses) to be able to house the cars, design the displays for each, etc. They've only been open for a few months and say that they'll be improving things for a while yet. We'll see.

jameth

Post by jameth » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:44 am

I may have asked this already but it's all blending together.

Is this the bike Chris restored??

spyhunter2k

Post by spyhunter2k » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:51 am

Yes. After restoring the bike, he sold it to the Cars of the Stars Museum in Keswick, England, before the entire inventory of that museum was sold to the Dezer Museum in Miami, FL USA in late 2011.
Last edited by spyhunter2k on Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pentastar

Post by pentastar » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:02 pm

Thanks for the fantastic pics and update on the bike. Seeing it in the shape it's in reminds you how old this show is (and how old we are who watched it.)

Wish it wasn't all the way on the other side of the country from me. I'd love to see it in person!

TONY1977

Re: Hero Bike in Miami Museum—2012

Post by TONY1977 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:26 pm

It seems the crew at the Dezer collection had too many vehicles to take care of for just giving the proper TLC to just this one. Too bad.

Tony