New pic & Laser Disc conversion progress

Anything about Street Hawk can be discussed here.
spyhunter2k

Post by spyhunter2k » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:37 pm

Got bored and spent some time cleaning up this pic in Photoshop--pretty sure not many have it, at least not this big, as it's only located in large size in only one place ;).

Last edited by spyhunter2k on Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

josh

Post by josh » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:41 am

Nice pic. I wonder was mad them decide to go with the red beam instead of the blue? I personally thought the blue was much cooler.

spyhunter2k

Post by spyhunter2k » Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:01 pm

I've wondered that myself, though it is supposed to be a "particle beam," which I believe shoots particles out in a straight line. The blue effect looked more like a giant taser than a "beam."

spyhunter2k

Post by spyhunter2k » Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:07 pm

If I do end up offering a turn-key replica, this would be a $1000 + option for the laser. I believe it's the most powerful one you can get:

http://www.wickedlasers.com/lasers/Spyd ... 28-24.html

shtvseries

Post by shtvseries » Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:11 pm

pretty sure not many have it, at least not this big, as it's only located in large size in only one place ;).

Wow :o
Ive never seen that before! No Hold on....Its on the laserdisc pilot that I had.
Can you post those other pics from the laser disc you got that image from? If you have it why havent you ripped off a dvd? It is almost DvD quality after all. Holding back from the fans are we? :(
Last edited by shtvseries on Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pentastar

Post by pentastar » Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:17 pm

I'd never really considered it before, but the overall construction of the particle beam attachment on the bike looks more like a particle beam accelerator than a laser. A laser would have an optical port or lens, but the particle beam attachment doesn't have a very well defined lens, the laser just seems to emit from the center of the weapon:

The design of the weapon looks more like it has a couple of rails for emitting highly charged particles:

That would also explain why in the shot you posted there appears to be two distinct beams of particles instead of one.

Also note that the above concept drawing for the weapon shows a blue tint instead of a red one.

Obviously this is all science fiction and does not require it to be logical or scientifically feasable, but if it was real it would make more sense for it to be a bluish particle beam like the one depicted in that variation of the pilot.

spyhunter2k

Post by spyhunter2k » Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:56 pm

This image only appears in a small box on the laserdisc back. I don't have the laser disc.

I bought what I thought was and what was advertised as a Street Hawk laser disc on Ebay months back. It comes in and looks like a laser disc sleeve to me. I send it to be converted and I'm told "This isn't a laser disc." I think that they're just having a problem playing it, but I finally realized what the problem was two days ago.

The thing's a freaking VHD, a video high density disc. This was a little known format introduced in the early eighties. I found out that there were actually three types of large platter-sized video disc technologies/formats developed in the late 70s/early 80s: laserdiscs, video high density discs, and capacitance electric discs. With the rising popularity of the vhs videocassette format, only the laserdisc sustained anything more than a cult following. You can read more about the ill-fated VHD and CED formats on Wikipedia.

Whereas there are a few places in the states that will convert a laserdisc to DVD, I haven't yet found anyone who offers a conversion service for VHDs, but I'm still looking. I've been told that my best bet is to take it to the audiovisual dept. of a large university. I'd rather just find the laserdisc version of the pilot though and get it converted, as VHD format is not as good as laserdisc as far as resolution. Better than VHS, sure, but we already have that with the Finnish version, so a VHD conversion would probably be only slightly better than the Finnish pilot.

At least as of now, we know that the pilot was released in VHS, laser disc, video high density disc, and betamax formats (saw a recent auction for this, but didn't bid). Other than mine, I've never seen another surviving Street Hawk VHD, though laser discs pop up from time to time...

Last edited by spyhunter2k on Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spyhunter2k

Post by spyhunter2k » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:46 pm

Good points Pentastar.

Here's the comparison pics. Notice that the VHD case is rectangular instead of squared like the laser disc. Also notice "Video disc" listed as the format at the top left of the front. Lastly, the VHD has the English title much bigger than the Japanese one, whereas the opposite is true for the laser disc.

On the back, the same photos are used, but in different sizes and in a different arrangement. Tiny Japanese text appears on the back of each.

Last edited by spyhunter2k on Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spyhunter2k

Post by spyhunter2k » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:53 pm

And completely off of the original topic, notice how in that pic you can clearly tell that the visor on the stunt rider's helmet was clear so that he could actually see where he was going during the riding scenes at night. You can almost make out a face...

pentastar

Post by pentastar » Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:08 pm

That's interesting, I'd never heard of VHD before this. You forget how many new technologies come along over the years that never catch on.

You can almost make out a face...
You want to make out with his face??? :-*

J/K