New pic & Laser Disc conversion progress

Anything about Street Hawk can be discussed here.
spyhunter2k

Post by spyhunter2k » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:14 pm

I think this pic would look cool on a poster or ad for the show:

spyhunter2k

Post by spyhunter2k » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:16 pm

spyhunter2k

Post by spyhunter2k » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:17 pm

spyhunter2k

Post by spyhunter2k » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:25 pm

And we can finally put to rest the matter of how soon the rounded-nose "series" version bike appeared. It appeared in the pilot!

When the bike jumps the railing after chasing the two red XR dirt bikes up the stairs, it takes off as the pilot bike. When they redid the actual jump special effects for the American version, they used the series bike. I can't believe I never noticed this before:

Then when the bike lands, it's back to the pilot version!

To get the full-sized caps, I had to use a roundabout method that I believe degraded the resolution a bit. Looking at the caps, they don't look much clearer than the Finnish versions, but again I won't know for sure until I see it on a real tv.

When I get Scott's version in the mail, I'll add comments to that thread.

pentastar

Post by pentastar » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:26 pm

Wow, that's cool...I never even noticed the launch tubes until now. I was so caught up in the moment that the change never even registered in my mind.

Heck, they could have changed to a black BMX for the jump scene and I might not have even noticed the difference, hehe.

josh

Post by josh » Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:31 am

I was able to take a sample clip from the Scotts copy of the pilot and uploaded the robbery scene (w/ the blue beam) here. The file is 21 MB so you probably don't want to download it unless you have a broadband internet connection.

~ Josh

Hawk Legend

Re: New pic & Laser Disc conversion progress

Post by Hawk Legend » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:47 am

I'm lost:

Does the laserdisc only contain the alternative pilot?

And is the DVD video transfer "able" to 100% catch the laserdisc video quality?
"The true rock'n'roll legend is rising again... the man, the machine... Street Hawk returns!" - Elvis Presley, 2010.

scott

Post by scott » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:42 pm

Hawk Legend wrote:I'm lost:

Does the laserdisc only contain the alternative pilot?

And is the DVD video transfer "able" to 100% catch the laserdisc video quality?
The laser disc only contains the red laser version of the pilot. It's almost the same version as originally broadcast on ABC television. Yes, the DVD transfer is 100% the same as the laser disc. That Japanese disc was released years ago by CIC Video. I also have an excellent quality DVD of the alternate blue electricity beam pilot too.

Hawk Legend

Post by Hawk Legend » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:21 pm

Scott, terrific answers, thank you. So we got a new DVD version of the whole series from the laserdisc... or does the laserdisc just display the alternative pilot and no episodes?
"The true rock'n'roll legend is rising again... the man, the machine... Street Hawk returns!" - Elvis Presley, 2010.

spyhunter2k

Post by spyhunter2k » Sat May 01, 2010 2:52 pm

A laser disc containing only the pilot episode was released in Japan. Japanese subtitles were hard-coded into the video, and cannot be turned off or extracted. Laser disc video quality is much better than video cassette quality, but not as good as DVD. The DVDs are of all 13 episodes and are not based off of the laser disc. They are a higher-resolution representation of the original material. Just what original material was used I can't say.