2008 REX SMITH INTERVIEW!

Anything about Street Hawk can be discussed here.
josh

Post by josh » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:04 am

Thanks to Ducati over at streethawk.tv-series.com for spotting this in the March 2008 issue of Two Wheels Only.

------------------------------

I used to leave the Film studios on the Streethawk bike and go for a ride around town. Id tell the boys to give me one of the bikes at lunch and Id shoot off for a bit around downtown LA, just take it for a ride, tell the guys I needed to get into character or some other bull[filtered out]. We had a lot of fun on the Streethawk set, it was a great team and we were pretty raucous. Our parties were infamous. The first week I wondered why my trailer was stacked with every imaginable bottle of spirit. I said "I cant drink all of this" and the guys said "You dont have to, We just need to get Universal to pay for it!"

Friday nights we would work late, but it would be Saturday, very, very early before the last person left the lot. Universal must have wondered how I even managed to walk, the amount we went through.

I did a fair amount of stunt riding during filming, although I didnt go through plate glass or anything. The best part was sliding up and using the machine guns. Even in the world of hollywood when you hit a button, the squibs go off, flames shoot out and you see a car fall apart in front of you, hood and doors exploding off, in your mind its still you doing it. I never got over how cool doing that was.
Streethawk was filmed in the Universal film lot, one of the worst places in the world to shoot. The rule was that public tours took precident, so we had about 6 minutes between tours in which to run around filming as fast as possible before the next one arrived. But we had some fun with them. I would get out and wheelie past the tour buses, all you could hear was "Look! There goes Streethawk" Id get a kick out of that, people mouths would drop.
Motorcycles have always been a part of my life and I raced motocross when I was first starting out. When I was 20 and signed for columbia records I would put my motorcycle in the truckwith my equipment and would race, then Rock
Last edited by josh on Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

josh

Post by josh » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:42 pm

I am not sure what to thik about the interview. On one hand I think it is great that it is great that we get a little more insight on the show and how it was filmed. I am amazed that a magazine actually took the time to do an interview with a actor from a TV show that aired in the over 20 years ago and only had 13 episodes.

There are a few things in the article that make me wonder if it is entirely true. First, he said "I would get out and wheelie past the tour buses, all you could hear was "Look! There goes Streethawk" Id get a kick out of that, people mouths would drop.". Didn't the show air after the episodes were filmed? If so, how would people know that was Street Hawk? Second, he states that he did several of the stunts, when Armus stated he did absolutely none. I am not saying the interview was a fake, but could it be possible he s stretching the truth a little?

All in all, though, it was very good interview.
Last edited by josh on Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spyhunter2k

Post by spyhunter2k » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:12 pm

While I'm very glad we finally have some of Rex's reflections on the show, I'm puzzled as well by some of the comments, like saying that he would drive the bike off the lot and through downtown LA. With the single frame-mounted fuel cell, the bike had a range of about 10 miles, so it would have to be a really short trip...

I really don't want to insinuate that anything said in the article was less than truthful, but some of it is a bit difficult to reconcile with what I know.

It would be interesting for Dan to forward Rex's comments to Burton Armus and ask if he can provide any additional insight...

The truth may be somewhere in-between Mr. Armus' and Rex's recollections...

spyhunter2k

Post by spyhunter2k » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:13 am

Josh,

The hi-res scan of this is in your inbox.

josh

Post by josh » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:34 am

Thanks!

spyhunter2k

Post by spyhunter2k » Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:51 pm

If anyone else here in the states isn't satisfied with the scan Josh will be posting and wants to buy the entire mag, you can order it directly from the UK via this link for about $12 w/ shipping:

http://www.themagazineman.co.uk/Two%20Wheels%20Only.htm

Or it is available in limited quantities in the States at certain large bookstores. I know that Barnes and Nobles carries it, but the few UK magazines they import usually go pretty fast. Also, they still only had the Feb. issue in when I was there last weekend on 2/9--not sure if the March 08 issue has made it to their shelves yet.
Last edited by spyhunter2k on Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

josh

Post by josh » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:00 pm

The scan has been added to the first post. Thanks spyhunter2k!

badguy

Post by badguy » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:00 pm

First, he said "I would get out and wheelie past the tour buses, all you could hear was "Look! There goes Streethawk" Id get a kick out of that, people mouths would drop.". Didn't the show air after the episodes were filmed? If so, how would people know that was Street Hawk?
but the tour guide would have let all the passengers know what they MIGHT see filming - the guide would probably have practically done a commercial for the show. Those guides are like cheerleaders.

pentastar

Post by pentastar » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:28 pm

Uh-oh, the badguys just showed up!

Just kidding, welcome to the forum Badguy, and thank you for your recent posts.

What you're saying makes sense, the tour guides woule likely try and drum up as much excitement as possible for upcoming shows.

Mark J.Cairns

Re: 2008 REX SMITH INTERVIEW!

Post by Mark J.Cairns » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:22 pm

You also may enjoy this original high-res scan I composited from the earlier MCN (MotorCycle News) article (7Mb file!)

http://www.airwolfthemes.com/media/Stre ... CompHR.pdf
Mark J.Cairns
Creator & Producer, Airwolf Themes Soundtracks
www.airwolfthemes.com