Hawk-Eye

Post your Street Hawk fan fiction here!
jack
Hawk-Eye

Post by jack » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:38 am

I'm a huge fan of the old Streethawk show and a writer. The idea of an up-to-date plot has been rattling around in my head for a while now. I've decided to bite the bullet and actually write a novel based on the old pilot episode. For obvious reasons it will be 'inspired by' rather than actually a direct re-telling.
I've completely changed the plot although the key elements have more or less survived. Also the character names have had to change. I'm about halfway though the first draft now so it will be about a month before it's available on Amazon for download to Kindle (I will be doing free downloads for board members, of course.)
I've kept the story in the 80s style. It's very tongue in cheek and absolutely doesn't take itself seriously at all. It's set in a modern setting with a heavy sci-fi element but there's a very strong connection to the 80s with callouts to the other big shows, Knight Rider and Airwolf especially.
The motorcycle is a central part of the plot (of course) and the name has been changed. It's part of the 'Hawk-eye' intelligence gathering network, identified as the 'Street Level Utility Motorcycle Platform', SLUMP for short. The ongoing joke is that nobody thinks to abbreviate the name down to 'Street-Hawk' but it's obvious to us, as the audience.
I've written it with sarcastic nods to the modern trend of transforming key characters to women or making them gay, etc. Consequently there is a gender-swap character but it is essential to the plot.
The themes are much more modern, and like good sci-fi it has been written to make a point about modern times. Hyperthrust has survived but is now explained properly and the explanation makes for a key plot element.
If there was ever a modern movie made, then I've written the book to essentially be what I would like to see on screen.
It should be available pretty soon, I write fast. The editing should only stand about a month so I'll keep posting with updates, if anyone is interested.
Last edited by jack on Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

JON1482

Re: SLUMP

Post by JON1482 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:38 am

Jack, I'm sure the Street Hawk world would welcome your novel with open arms. looking forward to reading it.

broken_turnip

Post by broken_turnip » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:39 pm

Sounds great, Jack, can't wait!

jack

Post by jack » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:20 am

It's over halfway through now. Getting there, getting there. It's fun to write and my editor says it's good fun to read. He won't let me discuss the plot with him, he wants to discover it on his own which is a good sign that it's intriguing. He's no-nonsense, if it's terrible, he won't try to spare my feelings.
It's kicked up some serious nostalgia. I've been re-watching SH again and watched my favourite 80s super-vehicle move of all time, 'Blue Thunder' with Roy Schneider. Brilliant movie, interesting plot, social commentary, heavily armed helicopter blowing up chicken shops. What more could you ask?

jack

Post by jack » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:17 am

I've just cracked 58000 words. It's really coming together now. It's become a giant splash of 80s nostalgia, just with specific focus on Streethawk.
The motorcycle is now firmly established and the plot is set. I'm building up now to the big action finale of explosive violence before the last reveal which will spin the whole story on its head.
I honestly thought this would just be silly, just a terrible idea for a novel but actually, I'm loving writing it, it's fun and I think the plot and narrative style is going to be really interesting. It will keep you guessing right to the end.

The title has shifted to 'Hawk-Eye' now but the bike is still called SLUMP.

And here, for those that like this sort of thing, is a very crude (really very crude) first draft style photoshop of the new version of the bike. It's different, hope you like different.

JON1482

Re: Hawk-Eye

Post by JON1482 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:05 pm

Bike looks good. I'm really looking forward to reading it.

jack

Post by jack » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:27 pm

Thanks. I'm a huge motorcycle fan and have been writing for as long as I can remember, for a man who drinks as much as I do, that could be as long as three months!
My first book is doing pretty well, I rode a BMW 650cc from London to Asia and wrote a story about that, 'Those Two Idiots' which is self published on Amazon and twice was the best selling travel book on there. I have no idea how. My fiction hasn't really taken off yet but I'm working on it. I wrote a sci-fi comedy 'Serves. No Useful Purpose' which is probably the best thing I've done so far. Over the next month or so my new fiction book, 'The Human Race' should come out, a mystery/comedy/drama about a weird motorcycle challenge. I was hoping that people reading the travel book might read motorcycle-related fiction more readily.
Then this story fought its way out. It's got loads of 80s references and is really fun to write. My friend and beta-tester says it's fun to read too. The bike is very different in the story. It's now a savage monster, a growling, fire-breathing abomination that's barely under control.
The bike in the pic is an MT03. I'm still living in Asia and larger motorcycles are rare. One of those is available and I'm tempted to grab is and actually build it. I build custom bikes in my spare time too...

jack

Post by jack » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:47 pm

I finished the 1st draft last night. It just flowed out of me like a bad curry. I wrote around 12800 words yesterday and tied the story off with a very typical 1980s scene which all of us who grew up with that will understand.
I totally fell in love with the bike.

jack

Post by jack » Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:24 am

The first Hawk-Eye story is being proof-read now. It's been beta-tested (which is a fancy name for people trying it out and seeing if they like it) and is testing very well with decent, positive feedback.
The current plan (subject to change) is it will have its own website where the book will be available as a free download in Kindle, PDF and .DOC format. It will have a gallery and attached blog too and you'll be able to open up locked sections of the website by solving logic-puzzles.
The sequel is around halfway done too. The sequel follows our team as they deal with techno-zombies. I like techno-zombies, you see and decided it would be fun to do.
The finished end-result is a mix of Street-hawk and a host of other 80s cliches all mixed up and set in the modern world. It's meant to be a bit of fun but, like all good sci-fi, it does make solid and important points about the times we live in.
I'll keep posting updates.

Also... I'm building a replica of the bike in the book. I obtained a Kawasaki ER6 with nothing wrong with it and have started making things wrong with it.

broken_turnip

Post by broken_turnip » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:27 am

Sounds like you're doing a cracking job, Jack, really looking to seeing the finished product!

Where are you from by the way?