Observations

Discuss the pilot episode of Street Hawk
scott

Observations

Post by scott » Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:46 pm

Ah, well, you know more than me here. I had no idea about this "black tower" (Funny sounds like a fairtyale ogre's stronghold!)
Well, like Command Centre, we'll have to look away from the back lot. Maybe some kind of civic centre? We'll posssibly never know.
LOL....the black tower is what alot of people at Universal it. You can see "The Black Tower" in a episode of Knight Rider, it's called Fright Night. It doubles as the offices of the film production staff within that episode.

knightfocus

Observations

Post by knightfocus » Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:57 pm

Well, I've seen this episode for the 1st time since the 80's today, and my first observation was the bike jump right at the beginning.

They were bragging that Jesse was going to jump 4 squad cars on a "Hog". When it came to the jump, it was a completely different bike. More of a "scrambler" than a Hog!!

jack

Re: Observations

Post by jack » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:06 am

I noticed something a bit odd. During the chase where Streethawk is riding through the built up area following the two Hondas, they ride up some stairs and he jumps. Here's a screengrab of the jump

That's the series bike, not the pilot version. You can make out the side detail around the exhaust and the beak are is different.

JON1482

Post by JON1482 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:30 am

Spot on Jack, cheeky beggars! In the actual pilot (often called the blue particle beam one) the jump was a 'blue screen' edit of the pilot bike, but it was sooooo crap that they re- shot it for TV using the series bikes. The only jumps the pilot bike did was over a police car and a trailer. I guess the director didn't want to risk the only 2 bikes they had at the time, just dont think it was up to the job hence the complete re-design and 15 bikes for the series.

jack

Post by jack » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:18 am

I was having a look while trying to figure out the nose design used in Murder is a novel idea. That has the square nose with two things stuck on. My initial thought was that it might have been the pilot nose used in some shots with detail added on hastily. Sadly that doesn't seem to be the case because the blue light are is different, it matches the Cobb redesign used in Second Self. Looking at that episode the square version nose matches the pilot but the new scoops are part of the mold so it was a new piece, not modified. The used the round-nose version in that episode too and I'm convinced the square one was a stunt bike. My reason is that when Jesse drops it, you can see straight through and it's a very cheap hollow shell. I can't figure out that MIANI nose. They've modified the pilot version around the blue light area but not added the scoops. They're clearly just something else stuck on. The question is why would they do that? The difference is minimal and modifying the molds would be a big effort.
I might be alone here in thinking that the rounded nose with no scoops but stuck on details would have looked 100% better than what we actually got. Those scoops are so ugly...

spyhunter2k

Post by spyhunter2k » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:13 pm

The bike used in "Murder is a Novel Idea" has a nose that looks like it began as one of the pilot bike's noses. The rear section is modified below the tank area to be fuller, a chin bar is added up front at the bottom, and two small weapons housings are grafted on.

All evidence suggests that this bike was the first series bike built, and was a temporary and partial implementation of the Ron Cobb re-design until such time as the Universal prop dept. could finish a complete bike according to Ron Cobb's new blueprints. This episode script has the earliest dates of any of the scripts I have (which is all but a couple): June 25–June 29, 1984. Note that the date on the final version of the Ron-Cobb redesign blueprints for the "Revised Street Hawk Motorcycle" are dated June 29, 1984. So it looks like they were gearing up to film this as the first series episode after the pilot at about the same time as the re-design was being finalized, and there wasn't adequate time for a fully-revised series bike to be completed for the filming of this episode.

Also, this was one of two bike styles used in the promo released by ABC before the series began airing (see it on youtube.com here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7kSN9nkdlA), which is why I call this bike the Promo/Murder bike. It is the bike revealed in smoke turning on the platform and also the bike being jumped at the end. In other shots, the normal (round-nosed) series bike is used. Because of being in the first part of that promo, this was actually the first version of Street Hawk seen on film. Audiences then had to wait until the 10th episode aired to see this bike, that was apparently built first after the pilot and most closely resembled the pilot, again.

Since it combines the look of the pilot bike's nose with a few additional weapons, it's actually my second favorite version of the bike. After all, the eventual series bike noses with the full weapons pods didn't actually shoot anything from the lower missile holes...

jack

Post by jack » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:04 am

That makes sense. This episode, along with the Arabian were pretty awful. I can see why that got pushed down the schedule. The best episodes were probably Second Self and Vegas Run in terms of actually involving the bike although the latter suffered from the unfortunate hollywood hack trick of a random coincidence launching the plot. A few of the episodes had that plot mechanism which was a bit of a shame. I always felt that Second Self belonged further down the series run because it seemed to imply that SH had been functioning for some time. I notice in the beginning of that episode the bike was the round nose version and then they switched to the square stunt version. I got a screengrab from the episode and it has the full Cobb scoop molded on, definitely not a bodge, those parts were added to the mold.
The pilot version was nice, it even had a lot of logic in the design. The Cobb version just looked so wrong in comparison. It looks ok in motion on the screen but when you get a good look at a still it just seems wrong. The scoops don't make any sense if they're meant to conceal a missile launcher and an M60 GPMG. Also in the episode Murder there's a very odd detail stuck on the side of the bike's nose. It looks like a machine-gun barrel but it sticks out a very long way and looks very different.
Here's a screen-grab.

JON1482

Post by JON1482 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:09 am

Good spot there Jack, I've never noticed it before. What were they doing! :lol:

jack

Post by jack » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:57 am

Another observation from the pilot episode...
This is a screencap from an episode of Knight Rider.

And another one.

And another one.

And just to compare, here's a pic from the pilot so you can see my point.

Last one...

spyhunter2k

Post by spyhunter2k » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:45 pm

Which episode of Knight Rider?